Do you provide consulting or management services to Dentists in Texas? Texas has upped the ante for Dental Service Organizations. In the last legislative session, Texas passed the new DSO rule SB519. What does that mean to you?
Do you provide the any of the following”Business Support Services” to Dentists?
- Office space, furnishings and equipment,
- Staff employed by Dental Support Organizations
- Regulatory Compliance
- Inventory or supplies, including dental equipment and supplies
- Information Services
- Marketing and Advertising
- Financial Services
- Accounting, Bookkeeping, or monitoring or payment of accounts receivable
- Payroll or benefits administration
- Billing and collection services and products
- Reporting and payment of Federal or state Taxes
- Administration of interest expense, or indebtedness, incurred to finance the operation of a business,
- Insurance Services
If you answered yes to two or more of these items, you may be considered a DSO (Dental Support Organization) in Texas and that means you have to register with the Secretary of State! The law takes effect September 1, 2015, however registration is not required until February 1, 2016. Anyone providing two types of consulting services to dentists in Texas is now considered a Dental Service Organization.
You will have to pay a registration fee to the Secretary of State (SOS) each year you do business in Texas. As part of the registration, you will have to disclose the following:
- The Name and business address of the Dental Support Organization
- The Name and business address of each Dentist in the state with which the Dental Support Organization has entered into an agreement to provide two or more business support services.
- The name of each dentist who owns 10% or more of the dental support organization
- The name of each person who is not a dentist and owns 10% or more of the dental support organization
- A list of all business support services provided to each dentist
Thinking of blowing this off? Don’t. For everyday you are required to register and don’t you have the opportunity to accrue a fine of $1000 per day.
Want to read the actual bill? Click Here.
Lawyers, accountants, insurance agents and agencies providing only insurance services, accountants providing only accounting services, financial reps providing only financial services.
A former Law Enforcement Officer/ Dental Board Investigator, Mr. Duane Tinker is the CEO of Dental Compliance Specialists. Mr. Tinker and his compliance specialists provide compliance consulting, auditing and training services for dentists and Dental Service Organizations nationwide on compliance risks including OSHA, HIPAA, Dental Board rules/ regulations, state radiology rules, DEA and state drug regulations, and Medicaid. He often speaks for dental societies and study clubs. Mr. Tinker can be reached at (817) 755-0035 or click here to email.